HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Tesla Truck

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

PostSubject: Tesla Truck   January 29th 2016, 8:49 am

Elon Musk: “Quite Likely” Tesla Will Build Truck
Electric Vehicle Impresario Says Pickup Could Be Coming

Quote :
Tesla Motors is not the first name that comes to mind when you think of pickup trucks. However, that may not always be the case. At a conference in Hong Kong, Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk said that it is “quite likely” the company would build an electric truck in the future. At various points over the last several years, Musk has alluded to the possibility of a Tesla-branded pickup truck. The introduction of the Model X crossover was a step in a more utilitarian direction. However, the six-figure, falcon-winged luxury crossover will likely live a much more pampered life than most pickups.

Additional challenges posed by pickups above and beyond the typical load and duty cycle for cars is the blunter aerodynamics of a pickup, as well as the negative impact on range of added payload or trailer weight. The Model X has a claimed tow capacity of 5,000 pounds. However, the company has not offered any comment on how much the Model X’s range would be impacted with a full-weight trailer. It’s not an issue of power, with the Model X producing a whopping combined 762 hp and 713 lb-ft of torque, but rather the power draw from the battery and how long it can be sustained under load. The Model X has an EPA rated range of up to 257 miles.

You can hear Musk’s comment about the possibility of a Tesla pickup in the video below around the 24:55 minute mark on the timeline.

Truck Trend
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 29th 2016, 11:57 am

If they are still around. Some bad reviews are starting to pop up about the cars reliability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 29th 2016, 12:47 pm

The Big 3, and pretty much every other manufacturer on the planet, have been getting bad reviews for eons. Nothing new there. I could be wrong, but I believe Tesla is here to stay. Sure they have some issues to work out, but no more so than anyone else (and the rich tree-huggers love them).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
pup

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 29th 2016, 1:08 pm

Because everyone needs a 70k truck with the range of a shopping cart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 29th 2016, 1:53 pm

While Tesla may be here to stay, I think their foray into the truck market will not be successful. I also believe Mercedes is going to introduce a pickup into the market. There must be more rich people than I am aware of.

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 30th 2016, 11:57 am

The swing in range when loaded and unloaded will be dramatic. Not even considering the additional losses of the truck itself (shape/weight).

Until they can get something like 500 miles fully loaded. I wouldn't expect to make a dent in the full size pickup world. $80k for an electric pickup? Are fast food workers making $65 an hour now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 30th 2016, 1:55 pm

Silicon Valley and Hollywood love Teslas. If things keep going the way it seems, just like other parts of the country, there could be more growing pains in Silicon Valley and Northwest tech areas as they lose profits, see ridiculous home prices falter, and no longer benefit from lucrative stock options.

I like what Musk is doing with battery and storage technology. As Apple and others delude themselves about building their own electric cars, I'd unload the business to them if I was Musk.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
joemac

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   January 30th 2016, 6:13 pm

Yep driving down the road in Palo Alto it's Model S, Model S, Leaf, Volt, Model S, CMax Energy, Model S, Model S, in that order.  Waco, Memphis, Colroado Springs, Columbus, not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tesla Truck   

Back to top Go down

Tesla Truck
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Auto Industry :: Rumors-
Jump to: