Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Weather coming

Go down 
+4
ggbaird
Diseasel
joemac
TheQuig
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 21st 2016, 9:28 pm

This is the first "big" storm of the winter for us. While the rest of the state should get a lot of snow, the most we are expecting is 12". Being so close to the ocean the big deal is north east winds up to 50 mph, full moon, added with the snow/rain could mean some real high tides. The town has already said we should move our cars to higher ground at one of our parks. I'm going to load up the house with 2 days of firewood even though the temps will stay around 30. I have gas for the generator so we should be good. It's a given we will loose power. Last on the list is to keep an eye on the stream and let our ducks loose if the salt water pushes up and over the bank. The stream in my back yard is fresh water but the north east winds and high tides don't allow the fresh water to escape into the bay.

joemac

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 21st 2016, 9:40 pm

Media is calling it the storm of the century with serious risk to life and property. Guess the American tax payer better get the checkbook out.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 21st 2016, 11:01 pm

Wow, sounds like a nasty storm. I heard 20' coastal waves.

Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 22nd 2016, 8:25 am

TheQuig wrote:
This is the first "big" storm of the winter for us. While the rest of the state should get a lot of snow, the most we are expecting is 12". Being so close to the ocean the big deal is north east winds up to 50 mph, full moon, added with the snow/rain could mean some real high tides. The town has already said we should move our cars to higher ground at one of our parks. I'm going to load up the house with 2 days of firewood even though the temps will stay around 30. I have gas for the generator so we should be good. It's a given we will loose power. Last on the list is to keep an eye on the stream and let our ducks loose if the salt water pushes up and over the bank. The stream in my back yard is fresh water but the north east winds and high tides don't allow the fresh water to escape into the bay.

Stay safe Rich. Please keep us updated if you can.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Bambam
Admin
Bambam

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 22nd 2016, 8:47 am

Stay safe Rich, we are on the northern fringe, so maybe 9" of snow on the coast of ct, 40 mph winds, 4' above normal high tide.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 22nd 2016, 5:55 pm

They still can't forecast the amount of snow, but the high tide is going to be bad. Salt water ruins everything.
Today I loaded up with firewood, started the generator and snow blower. I a little worried about the 63 mph winds as I have 2 trees out back near the water that Ivy has killed this summer. They can fall on my house or the next door shed that was just put up. The shed cost a fortune but that's what homeowners is for. Although an act of God may not cover it. FEMA makes me have flood insurance.

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 23rd 2016, 11:26 am

Power was out for 6 hours, I don't think it will stay back on. A lot of damage to trees and my fences. The wind is right now 55mph, and the tide is coming up, not enough to worry yet. I have a fire going, but when the power goes out again I can't run the generator as the rain and snow mix is blowing way to hard. About 1 foot on the ground with 4' snow drifts. Roads are impassable. I'll post again if I have power/internet. I'll see if I have cell service when the power goes out again. As I said, right now the wind is our worst enemy. The rain/snow mix will change back to all snow in the next few hours.

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 23rd 2016, 2:38 pm

Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 23rd 2016, 5:34 pm

It's back to all snow. The rain compressed the existing snow, so there is still around a foot. NOAA states another 7" and expect the night to get more windy up to 65 mph. We are one of the few places that still have power, but it can't last with the heavy snow bringing tress down.
Last night was surreal, in the middle of a white out it was lighting. It lighted up everything in a dim blue color. At first I thought maybe a truck with blue lights, but then realized what was going on. The thunder was muted and you could hardly hear it with the wind howling.
Right now just sitting by the fire watching NetFlix while we still have electric. I need to make a trip to the wood shed, not looking forward to that!

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 23rd 2016, 5:40 pm

Bambam wrote:
Stay safe Rich, we are on the northern fringe, so maybe 9" of snow on the coast of ct, 40 mph winds, 4' above normal high tide.

It's funny, I have been out of the business for close to 18 months but I still worry about the safety of the guys that still have to get to the pump stations and well houses. I haven't seen local news so I don't know how hard people have been hit by the tides. Last night I heard 20' waves and 4'-6' higher than normal tides. My house is 7' above sea level.

Diesel Dan

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 23rd 2016, 8:22 pm

Got about 2" in middle TN, lots of places shut down. Not even an ice storm, bunch of pansies down here. Evil or Very Mad

Does sound like a good storm for you guys in the NE.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 24th 2016, 2:43 pm

I ended up with 18", I think Evan (Erude) got more. It is not close to the most snow we have gotten but the 5" of rain/sleet on top of 5" of snow then 8" of snow made this the hardest snow removal I have witnessed. It was frozen so hard I could walk on top without falling thru. My snow blower would just bounce off the pile left by the snow plow. Even with the blower and 27F, I was reduced to a tee shirt as I was sweating so much. A couple blocks east of me got hit with the high tides, not sure how bad yet. Now I'm in shorts waiting for the playoffs with the wood stove cranking out a lot of heat.

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 24th 2016, 4:29 pm

Pictures?....of the snow, not you in shorts. Shocked
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyJanuary 24th 2016, 6:28 pm

Finally uploaded two pictures. It was cold outside in shorts, so they were quick takes. One is the front yard showing the travel trailer. Earlier, the Silverado and Yukon were parked up there so the streets could be plowed.

Weather coming 20160124_150234_zpsvwnzmm9u

Weather coming 20160124_150021_zpswxkg17l8

Picture of the backyard. If you look close, you can see my ducks that finally ventured out of their coop. They have a hard time walking in the deep snow but want to get some sun and dead grass and weeds if they can find it. They have plenty of food, but they prefer to eat dead grass first. Next to the coop is tool shed and then my firewood shed.

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 20th 2016, 3:58 pm

Were looking at 2"-4" if snow tonight. In the past I have seen snow in mid April. The last two weeks were in the 60's most days.
I'm hoping for a snow day from school, Friday with 7th graders was just "one of those Days".

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 20th 2016, 6:25 pm

TheQuig wrote:
Were looking at 2"-4" if snow tonight. In the past I have seen snow in mid April. The last two weeks were in the 60's most days.
I'm hoping for a snow day from school, Friday with 7th graders was just "one of those Days".

Hope you get your snowday. I hung clothes out on the line today (40's) but who knows ... could get 2 feet of snow next week. So far this winter we've gotten off pretty easy; I've only had the use the snowblower once so far and I don't mind in the least. I used to enjoy winter but now it just seems to mean more work. A couple of winters ago ('13-14') I used the blower almost daily because of drifting- thought we had moved to an Arctic research station with all the sub zero temps (50+ days of them), wind and snow. You never know- about 8 years ago I was working on a construction job in NW Minnesota the first week of April. Started snowing but being April I didn't think much of it ... until it kept coming down heavier and heavier and I caught a weather forecast. Called the boss, told him I was leaving early and that was a good thing considering some areas got more than 2 feet of snow and they closed I-94 into North Dakota.... the drive back to WI was brutal. Weathermen seem to have turned into politicians with all the "Storm of the Century" and "global warming"/"climate change" BS.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 20th 2016, 7:01 pm

Our last snowfall of any importance was around 7-8 weeks ago. After that snow, I replace the blades, the belt that drives the blades and a new spark plug. I was sure when I did that work that it meant no more snow for the winter. 4" of snow I won't bring the blower out anyway, I would just use a feed shovel.

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 21st 2016, 1:32 pm

No snow day. Maybe 1 1/2" at most. I was scheduled for a 1/2 day which I hate with a passion as it is not getting up for the pay. First class I had 28 students, 2nd class 2 students. I was out the door at 10:03, got to Costco and did my food shopping. So much for the snow storm. Full days the rest of the week, Friday starts Spring break.

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 22nd 2016, 1:18 am

How you liking being back at work?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 22nd 2016, 4:23 pm

theshyguy wrote:
How you liking being back at work?

The last two weeks were horrendous when I worked in the Middle School with 7th and 8th graders. Something got screwed up in the program they use and I was stuck for a week working 1/2 days. Finally got that straightened out. This week and the week after Easter break I'm working at the High School which is great. There are 4 periods per day. Today I did period 1, then the teacher had taken the period 2 students to an aquarium, so I had a 3 1/2 hour break until the last period. I ended up letting the person who buzzes guests in the front door take a break and get some  more prep time in. Last period I had an Aide, so I wrote my name on the board and read a book on the early days of WWII in the Pacific. 9 kids in that class, 1 absent, it turned out to be my son and I didn't know he stayed home (cough cough) sick.

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 22nd 2016, 8:32 pm

Lol, he has "some splainin' to do" when you got home?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming EmptyMarch 23rd 2016, 3:15 pm

Claims he was sick, and drove to a park to sleep rather than go to school. I believe he does get sick being anxious over a couple of classes he feels he can't pass. I had lunch with his programming teacher today, and tomorrow at 7:15 am my wife, son, myself if I'm not scheduled and the teacher to see what he needs to do to pass. Two different stories coming from him and the teacher. I get along with her fine, so I don't want to screw up a good working relationship with her, but he has some explaining to do in regards to her class.

Weather coming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weather coming   Weather coming Empty

Back to top Go down

Weather coming
Page 1 of 1