Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Good brand of appliances??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rustbucket

Good brand of appliances?? Empty
PostSubject: Good brand of appliances??   Good brand of appliances?? EmptyNovember 28th 2015, 2:59 pm

Our current "refrigerator" is out in the garage and has been for two weeks- it says "Igloo" on the side and I have to put ice in it. The less than 10 year old Kenmore Elite (actually a Frigidaire) refrigerator has crapped out again for the second time in eight years. Warranty covered it the first time (bad compressor) but I refuse to put a penny into it. The less than 10 year old Kenmore Elite dishwasher (also a Frigidaire) went kaput a few months ago ... for the third time in less than 10 years. Headed out to look at new refrigerators/ dishwashers- some good deals out there now with black Friday and all but it's more than about price. I'm leaning towards the local Maytag/ Whirlpool dealer in town mostly because they have a great rep for service but I haven't ruled any brand out yet except for Kenmore/ Frigidaire ... other than the microwave there isn't one item among them (range, refrigerator, washer, dryer, dishwasher) that hasn't needed repairs during the eight years we've been in this house. What brands do you guys suggest or have had good experience with?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of appliances??   Good brand of appliances?? EmptyNovember 28th 2015, 6:12 pm

I do believe that Consumer Reports is a good place to see what appliance is good. The manufacturer seems to change every few years, so what was good last year might not be good this year. We purchased a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator 3 years ago that was supposed to be good. Every week I have to chop the ice out of the bottom of the freezer or water will run on the floor. The tube to the pan froze up so the water can't get to the pan to evaporate. This is our 3rd fridge in 22 years, while the Frigidaire freezer we bought the same day is still going strong.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of appliances??   Good brand of appliances?? EmptyNovember 29th 2015, 10:20 am

I usually go to home depot or lowes and look at the buyer reviews. While that wont give you long term information on current products it will prevent buying something that has peculiarities which will drive you crazy after the sale. Should also be some decent sales going on. You also have the entire net to research brand reliability. Good luck. BTW we bought a new 4K on dark friday and the first one lasted about 5 minutes. The exchange is working great, so far. It may be a crap shoot at best these days.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of appliances??   Good brand of appliances?? EmptyNovember 29th 2015, 11:50 am

All of ours last the life time of the house.
But that has only been 4-5 years per home for the last two.

IIRC the current fridge we have had for just over 5 yrs is a Frigidaire and only had issue with the drain sticking closed and causing over flows like Rich has. Cleaned it out and has been fine for the last year+. Never hooked up the ice maker since we have well water and ice/water dispensors are the highest failure rate from what I've read.

When we build the new house I'll have to pick out all new appliances, again. Always a fun time, not!

I try to buy USA/Canadian first followed by Mexico, I'll do what ever (reasonably) possible to avoid supporting China.
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of appliances??   Good brand of appliances?? EmptyNovember 29th 2015, 3:17 pm

Truth spoke the truth ... and it's an expensive crap shoot at that. Trying to keep it simple on the fridge- bottom freezer so I don't have to bend over all the time (buying a new major appliance will automatically do that for you), single upper door (no water in the door) and American made/owned which means Whirlpool/ Maytag (same company). They're assembled here but major components (compressor from Brazil) are imported. Warranties suck unless you spring for an extended one- only one year in the case of Whirlpool ... Maytag does warrant the compressor for 10 years (part only, no labor). Most of the deals now seem to be for the Korean brands (LG, Samsung) ... hundreds less and a far better warranty (5 and 7 years parts and labor on the sealed refrigeration stuff). That also means made in Mexico or in some cases, China. GE sold out to the Swedes (Electrolux) who already own Frigidaire. Bosch does make most of its dishwashers here in the U.S.

I'm guilty of overthinkin' this but it used to be a lot simpler ... most any appliance would run reliably for a decade or more and most all were made here in the U.S. These days one trip from a repairman will equal much of the original cost of the appliance if not covered by warranty. Just the circuit board alone for a Maytag dishwasher I looked at was $250. imho a lot of this "energy efficient" stuff has made appliances a lot less reliable and the consumer has paid the price.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good brand of appliances??   Good brand of appliances?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good brand of appliances??
Page 1 of 1