Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Plumbing issue

Go down 
+3
TheQuig
pup
theshyguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
theshyguy

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 10th 2015, 11:22 pm

My kitchen sink is stopped up and I cant figure out what the cause is. I can let it set overnight and drain but after 2-3 gallons of water poured back in it is stopped back up and slowly drains. I have run a 25 foot snake down the drain twice and a bottle of drano to no avail. The dishwasher seems to run fine with no water backup and as far as I can tell it is plumbed into the same system. Could it be some vent pipe clogged up? Any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 9:51 am

I use this stuff from Lowes. Hasn't failed me yet.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_15516-59830-0940_0__?productId=3371170

Drano must have been invented by a Democrat, its nothing but a jug of false hope designed to separate you from your money with zero results in the end.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 11:33 am

Did you pull the trap apart? they get pretty clogged after a while. Your dishwasher most likely has a grinder in it so the flow out of the dishwasher flows okay. Trap take apart first, then start the snake at the trap under the sink. Lately for the showers I buy a hair and grease remover from Home Depot, around $20 a bottle. It cleans out the hair in about half and hour. You could also try a new clean plunger for the kitchen sink, if it works, only use it there, if not, put it away for a toilet problem later down the line.

joemac

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 11:36 am

Is there a disposal in play? Single or Dual bowl sink with one or two escutcheons?

Typically a dual bowl sink with two escutcheon are configured with one having a disposal directly attached. Its common for the escutcheon not directly connected to the disposal to drain post the disposals or T into the disposal's drain.

The dish washer can be configured to drain into the disposal or post disposal with one large outlet on the disposal carrying waste water out.

Which config do you have?

Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 12:24 pm

escutcheon Winner of the 5 dollar word of the day contest.

Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 6:56 pm

In today's market with deodorant up 300% in the last decade, its worth $10. Well $8. Had to spell check it.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 8:37 pm

Funny, I've worked in a sink factory for fifteen years now and have never heard the term 'escutcheon'. I assume you are referring to (what we call it up here anyway) the 'strainer'? Not trying to correct you or anything Derek, just never heard that word before is all.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
pup

pup

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 11th 2015, 8:49 pm

I was wondering how we went from sinks to regulating the pressure in your inner ear. lol
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 12th 2015, 1:34 am

I've never worked in a sink factory, I could be making all this crap up.  As along as 60% of the people believe it.  Hey I'm a politician and didn't know it.

I thought a strainer was when you had a issue with #2?
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 12th 2015, 12:14 pm

Its a dual bowl sink with a disposal on one side. The two sinks join together after each trap under the sink. I took off the end of the pipe just before they join and ran the snake. After pouring water in for a bit they both back up and will both be the at the same level since they are connected. If the sinks are holding water I can run the disposal and push a lot of the water to the other sink but when I stop they quickly reach equilibrium($8.01 word) again.
Back to top Go down
erude

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 12th 2015, 11:07 pm

This stuff is pricey but you only need a little bit so it lasts and is worth it.http://www.amazon.com/HD-Drain-Opnr-1-2gal/dp/B002Y6D3ZC/ref=lp_9387311011_1_5?srs=9387311011&ie=UTF8&qid=1447380355&sr=8-5
Back to top Go down
Truth
Admin

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 13th 2015, 3:02 am

Could be a clog farther down the line but tub should drain slow as well. I don't suppose there is a studor vent or similar air admittance device under there? Can look it up. Could also be roof vented and stopped up. If venting is the problem there should be air bubbles coming up from the water filled drain. Maybe? Hope you find the problem.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 13th 2015, 11:40 am

Its draining a little faster now but still slower than it should. I cleaned the little vent thing on the sink top but it didnt seem to be stopped up. I figured since nothing else was stopped up it must be close to the sink but nothing. No bubbles come up. Its flowing fast enough right now that I have to try to stop it up for it to get backed up so I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets worse again.
Back to top Go down
Truth
Admin

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue EmptyNovember 13th 2015, 3:44 pm

Probably unclogged it some with the snake, might use a good drain cleaner a couple more times flushed with the hottest water ya got. Surprising how grease and hair will coat the inside of pipes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plumbing issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plumbing issue   Plumbing issue Empty

Back to top Go down

Plumbing issue
Page 1 of 1