Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?   Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? EmptyAugust 6th 2015, 4:43 pm

One went bad on the rear tire of my Yukon. I called STS, they wanted $79 for the sensor, $19 to get the truck to program the new sensor and then a fee to balance the tire.

I ordered a new one online ($27 with shipping OEM Delco), and will bring it probably to Costco to install. I read that the batteries are only good for 10 years. Now I'm thinking I should have ordered all four and got it over with. My wife is saying no more money into the truck, time to buy a new one. The owners manual explains how to reprogram new sensors.

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?   Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? EmptyAugust 6th 2015, 7:07 pm

Haven't replaced any TPS's yet though all of my vehicles now have them. This seems like a profit center for tire stores, sensors, stems, valve kits, all kinds of stuff they attempt to toss in with a new set of tires.

Doing your research, like you did, the mark-up can just walking into a shop can be high. 300% in your case alone.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?   Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? EmptyAugust 6th 2015, 8:33 pm

I never realized they even had batteries in them. Just another way to get money out of the customer.

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?   Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? EmptySeptember 7th 2015, 8:13 pm

I just replaced the remaining 3 tire sensors on Sunday. Another went out last week and I was not going to do them one at a time.
Since I had Costco do the first one I thought let them do the other 3. Usual guy I deal with in the tire center was not there and they had to go to management to see if they could do this job. Okay, they can do it, tells me $14.50 per tire which I already knew. In passing I said and you are going to balance the tires afterwards right? The worker asked why I would want the tires balanced when they were just balanced less than a month ago? I couldn't believe I had to explain why they had to be rebalanced. He then tells me the job will take longer than expected since I wanted them balanced. Then he tried to sell me 2 new tires as the insides on the front wore more than the rest of the tire. Okay, they did wear, need a front end alignment but they are far from being worn out.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?   Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? EmptySeptember 7th 2015, 10:30 pm

TheQuig wrote:
In passing I said and you are going to balance the tires afterwards right?

Two words, Balance beads.

Balancing compounds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?   Anyone replace your tire sensors yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone replace your tire sensors yet?
Page 1 of 1