HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The wisconsin thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diesel Dan

PostSubject: The wisconsin thread   November 10th 2014, 10:38 pm

Teleporting this from the other thread:
rustbucket wrote:

It's o.k.- I was a real skeptic at first. They're not cheap ... I cross six of them before I get on I-94 in Roberts (Exit 10) in my a.m. commute (when I'm working) and iirc, the price tag for the six was well over $7 million. DOT says the intent was to reduce/ eliminate fatalities and they seem to have done that. Still have to pay really good attention but if you get clobbered now (some still don't know what "yield" means) the vehicle that hits you is only going 20-30 mph rather than 60-70 mph. Some of the bigger combines have some trouble getting around it.  

In the end I think traffic flow and safety (the roundabouts are well lit) is improved-  a bunch of stops have been eliminated and the six roundabouts shave about 4-5 minutes or more off my morning commute. They feel like a go-kart track in the Fiat ... a blast to drive. Took a while to get used to them but in the end I think they are a real improvement ... I've had some real close calls at 65/G prior to the roundabout. When the 65/G roundabout was under construction it became a four way stop. No way in hell could you miss it with loads of orange warning signs, flags, and big red stop signs but some idiot in a BMW yacking on his cell blew through it about 70 mph ... never even slowed down.

They've got a roundabout now at 63/64 (Four Corners), too. Taxes aren't low here but I feel like we get something for our money- they (the county) take good care of the roads and our dead end street gets plowed. When I go to the Twin Cities it's like they farmed out road maintenance to Afghanistan ....

First roundabout I dealt with on a daily basis was I-35/Hanley RD in Hudson. Though it was a good idea but the diameter should have been bigger because there is so much semi traffic the trailers are always running up the curb. Good thing the curbs have radiuses and not square corners.

There were many times I thought 65/G should have a traffic light for safety. Does 65/E have a roundabout too?

Now you're in the New Richmond school district right? If so that new school hammered you guys with taxes since the population boom never materialized that they were projecting for the school complex if I remember correctly. I really miss the condition of the roads up there. Down here they are narrow with the ditch 6" off the shoulder and water hydrants almost as close. Poor road base and drainage so the side roads are rough as a cob.

Several years back in Michigan there was major construction at the I-75/US10 interchange. Two lanes with Jersey barriers on both sides, many, many 45MPH construction zone signs and the media was telling about the radar enforcement of the area since the state police broadcasted it. Young lady gets caught doing 90+ and claimed she didn't notice anything! Never mind speeding in an active construction zone she broke every speed limit in the nation!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 10th 2014, 11:22 pm

Quote :
Does 65/E have a roundabout too?

None there  but there's one where 65 runs into US12 by the industrial park in Roberts, another where 65 turns off of US12 by 120th St. towards Roberts (the village itself) and I-94, another at 80th St and 65 and two more by the overpass/ entrance ramps at 65/I-94 (exit 10). They've redone 63 from Baldwin to 64... added hill climbing/ passing lanes and also resurfaced County A and G by me.
Semi's do clip the curbs on these roundabouts too .... I just give 'em lots of room.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a roundabout at 65/E sometime in the future.

Your roads sound like some I used drive on in Louisiana ... narrow as all get out especially driving a F-600 and if you messed up you were gator bait (off the road and in the water).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 11th 2014, 11:08 am

I was going to check out the roundabouts on google maps but it is acting up lately.
Anyone else having issues with google maps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 22nd 2014, 5:00 pm

Diesel Dan wrote:
I was going to check out the roundabouts on google maps but it is acting up lately.
Anyone else having issues with google maps?

I tried google maps today ... no issues. I've had issues in the past but the last few times I've used it, it's been o.k..

Been cold here- 12 days in a row where it hasn't gotten above freezing. Today it's supposed to get up to 38. Fair amount of snow, too. Riding with DW Weds. following the plow truck around the roundabout- turns out he and we were on the roundabout .... when it's not plowed it's hard to see the center edge of the roundabout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 22nd 2014, 8:59 pm

I thought NJ was the only place where they built those stupid circles. They are slowly replacing them as too many people have been killed thinking they had the right of way when they didn't. With low flow of traffic they can be okay but the volume we have up north they are dangerous and scary to enter.

Truth
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 23rd 2014, 12:30 am

We have 3 within a few hundred yards, can't see how anyone could get up enough speed to cause serious injury. I prefer them to the traffic lights they replaced, no waiting at a red light with clear traffic on the green.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 23rd 2014, 10:07 am

Truth wrote:
We have 3 within a few hundred yards, can't see how anyone could get up enough speed to cause serious injury.
That is a selling point for the round-abouts, accidents are <30mph verses getting broadsided at 60 mph+.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 23rd 2014, 7:23 pm

The 3 that are within 30 miles of me all have highways coming into them at speeds of 50 mph. They do post to slow down to 35 mph and lately I have seen some even put up yield signs. It seems people in the circle have the right of way yet people entering them seem to think they have the right of way.

ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 23rd 2014, 7:54 pm

After several trips to the UK, I've come to respect the round-a-bout as it keeps traffic flowing. The key is educating drivers who have never used them. There are too many drivers up here who can't even figure out traffic lights and stop signs, so traffic circles will be tough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
pup

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 24th 2014, 10:34 am

They could put up a 50 ft high solid concrete wall at intersections and the braindead smartphone users would decorate it with their gray matter in a matter of seconds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   November 25th 2014, 10:23 am

pup wrote:
They could put up a 50 ft high solid concrete wall at intersections and the braindead smartphone users would decorate it with their gray matter in a matter of seconds.

Hmm, no there's and idea.
Would rank right up there with watching a public boat launch during the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The wisconsin thread   

Back to top Go down

The wisconsin thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1