Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Noise from front end.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Noise from front end. Empty
PostSubject: Noise from front end.   Noise from front end. EmptyOctober 11th 2014, 7:13 pm

My 2010 Silverado has a pretty loud noise coming from the passenger front end wheel. Almost reminds me of thumping sound when a tire is going flat. Tires are new, did brakes and rotors 6 months ago. My first guess is the bearing assembly. Having just had knee surgery, I can't jack it up and pull off the tire. Usually I would have my 16 year old do the work while I gave him direction,s but he is in NYC this weekend with his brother for the Comic Con and won't be back until Monday. Not an emergency since we have a spare vehicle with the older son being away at school.
Any suggestions?

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Noise from front end.   Noise from front end. EmptyOctober 16th 2014, 5:54 pm

This is embarrassing, took the truck to the dealer thought maybe the CV axel was going. Dealer puts the truck on the lift, can't detect a noise. They let me in the bay to show the mechanic where the noise was coming from. We can't get it to make the noise. I ask the mechanic to meet me in the parking lot and I'll drive slow so he can hear the noise for himself. As he pull out of the shop, you can hear the noise loudly. He listens, thinks maybe the bearing assembly is going bad so back up on the lift to pull the wheel and check it out. He did't need his air gun, 3 nuts were very loose and the other 3 were back out by hand. He tightened them up, did a small recall on a dip stick and didn't charge for any time. I felt pretty stupid. I did the brakes about 6 months ago, actually watched my son do them, and I guess I should have tightened the lugs myself even though he is a good 4" taller than me.

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Noise from front end.   Noise from front end. EmptyOctober 16th 2014, 7:03 pm

Nice that the fix is easy and cheap.

Funny I've had instances when putting wheels back on a popping them with the torque wrench not remembering if I got all the wheels them all, or hit all the lugs.

Go get the torque wrench back out of the box to have another go around.

So instead of paying attention to what I'm doing I may go around the truck popping the lugs multiple times to make sure. I've got zero concentration anymore.

Attention to detail. Blah!
Back to top Go down
Truth
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Noise from front end.   Noise from front end. EmptyOctober 16th 2014, 8:59 pm

I had a similar problem, but there was a roaring noise every time I turned while moving, didn't matter which way. I thought wheel bearings or loose lugnuts(had this before). Stopped in a parking lot and tried to move each wheel, all seemed fine. As I was walking around the bed I looked inside and saw a piece of 4" pvc about 18" long. Put it in the toolbox and solved my bearing problem. It was rolling around when I changed direction, would be a good trick to play on someone. My niece was bad to tie a long ziptie around the driveshaft, you'd swear you threw a rod. Don't know how she's lived this long.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Noise from front end.   Noise from front end. EmptyOctober 17th 2014, 1:00 pm

Don't beat yourself up too bad, I'm sure we've all done it before as I know I have.

I make it a point to hand torque all lug nuts now, especially on alloy wheels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noise from front end.   Noise from front end. Empty

Back to top Go down

Noise from front end.
Page 1 of 1